Re: Reference vs import <-- RIF Core shortened

My view is that the phrase "external object model" is a misleading .  It
is more accurate to think of importing an XML document or a java object
graph.  Import defines a mapping between the external syntax and the RIF
syntax.  With a standard mapping and a standard RIF semantics you get a
standard semantics for importing the external syntax.  We can't map
everything from an XML document or a java object graph into Core but at
least we can map objects with slots, membership, and subclass.

Put another way: if you want to exchange rules using a fancy external
data model, you need to figure out how to map it to your RIF dialect in
a standard way.