[PRD] Default conflict resolution strategy (ISSUE-64) (Was; Re: [Fwd: Re: PRD Review])

From: Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:01:38 +0200
To: Mark Proctor <mproctor@redhat.com>
CC: Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com>, RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Mark Proctor wrote:

> Refaction in JRules is the same as jess/clips/drools no-loop. It's just
> the default is the opposite way around. didn't JRules have a "reset"
> command to allow a rule to refire after a modify?

Right, you can disallow refraction in JRules, so, it is only the default
that is the other way around.

So, "no-repeat" cannot be the default in RIF-PRD, since it is not the
default strategy in some of the major engines (it seemed so natural to
me that I assumed it was the default in most, if not all, engines... Or
am I just biased :-).

Which probably means that there should be no default, and the intended
conflict resolution strategy must always be explicit (see also Adrian's
argument against a default strategy, in [1]).

Cheers,

Christian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008Jun/0168.html