Re: [Fwd: Re: PRD Review]

Gary Hallmark wrote:

> [...]
>> example. It assumes that Jim specified a datatype DayOfTheWeek and
>> taht Tuesday belongs to that datatype.
>>
>> However, if we remove the paragraph about non-standard data types,
>> that example will be removed too, anyway.
> yes, remove it.  I think maybe I already did :-)
>>
>>> 2.1.2.2
>>> how does one comply with: order of the side elements "must not be
>>> preserved"?  That is a bizarre requirement...
>>
>> Yes, it might my command of the english language. It was supposed to
>> mean that, contrary to the arguments inan Atom, the arguments in an
>> Equal are interchangeable.
>>
>> I removed that proposition that is not needed anymore (we have
>> rif:ordered, and the roles names may change to left+right anyway).
>>
>>> 2.3.1.2
>>> as everyone knows, I don't really care much for the pattern
>>> FORMULA.  I would be agreeable to consider moving this to an
>>> extended Group element for WD2.  I prefer putting it on Group
>>> because there are good use cases for when a group of rules share a
>>> common set of conditions -- e.g. in a Decision table.
>>> But can we remove this from WD1 to eliminate some confusion? It just
>>> makes no sense to arbitrarily split up the conditions for a single
>>> rule.
>>
>> It makes sense from an usage point of view.
>>
>> (Target audience! Taget audience! Target audience!)
> if you don't have any measurable criteria, then we may as well
> arm-wrestle...
>>

>> What about:
> ???
>>
>>> 3.4.1.
>>> Can we get rid of the "matching theory T" until we can better define
>>> it?  Just say x << w means x matches w.
>>
>> But it is needed to take the semantics of datatypes into account; and
>> it is taken from the reference definition (in CIR04). I did not
>> detail that and mentionned it in an editor's note only, out of
>> laziness rather than anything else (and also because it relates to
>> the question of application-specific abckground knowledge).
> the semantics of datatypes is given in DTB.  We need to figure out how
> to "import" that into PRD.

>> 1. keep the editor's note as it is;
>> 2. add a paragraph in the text re how it takes into account the
>> semantics of data types etc, and leave an editor's note saying that
>> this might be extended to take application-specific theories into
>> account (such as app-specific object models etc).
>>
>>> the formatting for the spec of InstantiateRULE(w, r) could be
>>> improved.  List item #6 looks extraneous.
>>
>> Item 6 takes into account the case where the condition is omitted
>> (and, thus, true by default).
>>
>> Regarding the formatting: yes, if I could align the arrows, that
>> would be better. Any idea how I can do that, anybody?
>>
>>> 3.4.2.
>>> No-repetition: "unless the instantiation environment has
>>> significantly" will be hard to pin down.  The ILOG notion of
>>> refraction is quite different from the no-repeat notion in OBR and
http://www.ilog.com/products/jrules/documentation/jrules67/rssamples/rs_smp_rsruleprog2.html
"The default refraction mechanism avoids executing the same rule several
times on the same object instances, even if the rule conditions are met
again after a change on an object."

Refaction in JRules is the same as jess/clips/drools no-loop. It's just
the default is the opposite way around. didn't JRules have a "reset"
command to allow a rule to refire after a modify? JRules is removing
technical information from its manuals over time, so it's increasingly
hard to understand what it's doing. I notice the Conflict Resolution
tutorial is gone.

So to get JRules to comply with the rest of the world, you'd need to
insert reset() to get same execution semantics as Jess, Drools, OPSJ. I
won't say OBR as it's just Jess anyway.

MArk

--
JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire,