Re: BLD: two issues with the BNF

Jos de Bruijn wrote:
> I uncovered two issues with the BNF in BLD.  For me they are not
> critical for last call, but for some they might be.
>
> The first issue is an error: Profile is not a Unicode string in the
> presentation syntax, but it is a term (see section 2.4).

I do find this critical.

> The second issue is not an error, but it can be considered misleading
> (the BNF is too liberal): in the presentation syntax, rules are
> quantified rule implications.  So, an atomic formula is not a rule and
> may thus not be directly included in a group.  According to the BNF, an
> atomic formula can be considered a rule; this is misleading.

should be fixed. I think what you say can be easily addressed by
adding a comment to the EBNF inSection 2.6 which says the following:

"Note that in this grammar, we allow CLAUSES for rules and ATOMIC
formulas as clauses as a shortcut for facts:
<ul>
and
</li>
</li>
</ul>
"

We can also write:
   <i>A</i> :- And()

for the latter, BTW.

I would strongly opt for adding this clarification!

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres, Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)

Everything is possible:
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:Resource.
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subPropertyOf.
rdf:type rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf.
rdfs:subClassOf rdf:type owl:SymmetricProperty.