Re: ISSUE-43 ISSUE 41 - Proposed resolution for membership and classification

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:56:45 +0000
To: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
CC: "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Chris Welty wrote:

> It's time to push now and start closing some of these age-old RIF issues.
>
> My sense of this discussion is that the following proposal addresses
> enough concerns of those who object to membership and classification in
> BLD that they can live with it while still leaving something for those
> who favor it.
>
> Proposed: Close Issue-43 by including in BLD subclass formulae of the
> form a rif:subClassOf b.  In the RDF compatibility document,
> rif:subClassOf will be defined as a rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf.
>
> Proposed: Close Issue-41 by including in BLD membership formulae of the
> form c rif:type a.  In the RDF compatibility document, rif:type will be
> defined to be equivalent to rdf:type.

I've already indicated that this is enough for me to abstain rather than
vote against.

My preference remains to just not have this at all.

> I realize the latter begs the question why rif:type if it is the same as
> rdf:type, but I'd like to handle that question separately.

Why? Given the equivalence introducing a synonym seems pointless. Though
again I won't formally object to this, it's just one more nail in the
coffin of my enthusiasm for RIF.

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited