rdf:text - clarification requested

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:58:40 +0000
To: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Please could I get some clarification on the following line from the
rdf:text document:

"""In addition to the RIF and OWL specifications, this datatype is
expected to supersede RDF's plain literals with language tags, cf. [5],
which is why this datatype has been added into the rdf: namespace. """

I don't recall any discussion on this notion of "supersede". What
exactly is being proposed here? I have been regarding rdf:text as a
formalization of RDF plain literals with language tags which simplifies
OWL2/RIF's job but is not a change to RDF.  Clearly any change to the
RDF specs would have implications for tools developers, especially if
there are any round-tripping requirements, and wouldn't be something to
make likely. I don't think it appropriate to hint at such a change in
the rdf:text document without more details.

Apologies for not having noticed this line earlier.

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England