Re: [RIF] comments on FLD, April 10 version

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:35:53 -0400
To: Stella Mitchell <cleo@us.ibm.com>
Cc: RIF WG <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Thank you Stella. We'll put your suggested changes into the doc. (Most of them are there already.)

Just a few clarifications.

> 2.4 Terms
> ---------------
>    Definition (Term)
>       item 7
>           if t is a term -->
>           if t is any term other than a variable or External term.

The definition allows t to be a variable or an external term. A subsequent
definition makes such a term not well-formed. I think the above correction
introduces an unfounded recursion into the definition, so I left it out
(disallowing vars is ok, but mentioning External there is unfounded).

> 2.6 Signatures
>     "A set of signatures is coherent iff"
>             does this need to be qualified - by saying "FLD
>             set of signatures" or by indicating that if a dialect doesn't
>             (eg) include frames, its coherent set doesn't need the "->"
>             signature.

I do not think so. Dialects can include all the types of signatures, but
not use them (not assign them to any symbol). I agree that a better
formulation could be found, but the above is not good enough. It defines
coherence only for FLD signatures and not for the dialects.