Re: modules in RIF

Some PR systems, notably descendants of CLIPS like Jess and Oracle
Business Rules, have a notion of an "orchestration" of multiple modules
(or rulesets) for the purpose of partitioning the rule base.  The
details of the orchestration vary, but in several engines there is a
notion of a "ruleset stack" that is a stack of ruleset names.  The
ruleset on top of the stack is said to be "in focus", and only rules in
the in-focus ruleset are allowed to fire.  When no more rules can fire,
the engine pops the ruleset stack, thus changing focus and allowing
other rules to run, until the ruleset stack is empty.  A Rule can be
declared as "auto-focus", meaning that whenever its condition is true,
the name of the containing ruleset is pushed on the ruleset stack.
(Also, production rule actions can manipulate the stack.)

With this, one can express Michael's example in PR (simplified OBR
syntax) as:

  ruleset Foo {
    assert q(b,b);
    assert q(c,d);
    rule {
      autoFocus = true;
      if q(var x, var y) and Bar.r(y) then assert p(x);
    }
  }
  ruleset Bar {
    assert p(b);
    assert s(d,b);
    rule {
      if p(var x) then assert r(x);
    }
    rule {
      autoFocus = true;
      if s(var x, var y) and Foo.p(y) then assert r(x);
    }
  }

After the run, working memory contents includes Foo.p(b), Foo.p(c),
Bar.r(b), Bar.r(d)