Re: [BLD] comments on frozen draft (19oct07)

Michael Kifer wrote:
> Igor, thanks for the comments. Here are some explanations.
>
>> Sec.2.1.1.3, bullet rif:text:
>> shouldn't the language tag be optional?
>
> I understand that @lang is NOT optional in OWL and RDF.

In RDF/OWL there are two kinds of plain literals:

- plain plain literals, which are strings
- plain literals with language tags, which are pairs of strings and
language tags

In RIF it was decided not to introduce these different kinds of symbols,
but just have one kind of symbol: pairs of Unicode sequences and symbol
space IRIs. So, we needed to define the RIF-equivalent of these types of
symbols.

There is an obvious one-to-one correspondence between plain plain
literals and xsd:strings, so plain plain literals are represented as
values with the xsd:string symbol space.

There was no datatype readily available for presenting pairs of strings
and language tags so we needed to invent a new one, namely rif:text.

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/