Re: (ISSUE-40) Builtins and logic functions in BLD

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:53:28 +0000
To: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc: public-rif-wg@w3.org

Michael Kifer wrote:

> I made a proposal that we should treat builtins using the same mechanism as
> modules. For instance, if a builtin is defined in the XQuery/XPath library
> then we would refer to it as
>
>     fn:dateTime(...)@http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions
>
> where fn is a prefix for http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions

Isn't the URI enough to avoid clashes?

What benefit does a module system offer in this case?

[I realize the benefit of a module system for scoping but for a module
consisting of entirely global builtins that doesn't apply. Runtime
implementations might use modules to load/unload implementation
libraries but that has nothing to do with RIF.]

Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England