Re: (ISSUE-40) Builtins and logic functions in BLD

> Michael Kifer wrote:
>
> > I made a proposal that we should treat builtins using the same mechanism as
> > modules. For instance, if a builtin is defined in the XQuery/XPath library
> > then we would refer to it as
> >
> >     fn:dateTime(...)@http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions
> >
> > where fn is a prefix for http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions
>
> Isn't the URI enough to avoid clashes?
>
> What benefit does a module system offer in this case?
>
> [I realize the benefit of a module system for scoping but for a module
> consisting of entirely global builtins that doesn't apply. Runtime
> implementations might use modules to load/unload implementation
> libraries but that has nothing to do with RIF.]

For builtins the module system is not needed. It was just one way to
indicate that we are dealing with something that is defined by an external
library.  I recall that people did not like the idea of deciding whether
something is a builtin or not based solely on iris.

But, on the other hand, the same builtin may be defined by different
libraries, and the module system may open a way to use different libraries.

	--michael