Re: Another try at subclass

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:19:08 +0100
To: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>, "Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Axel Polleres wrote:
>>
>> Chris Welty wrote:
>>>

>>> </chair>
>>>
>>> Back in August I proposed a "friendly amendment" for the
>>> rif:subClassOf relation (aka ##) saying that:
>>>
>>> rif:subClassOf rdfs:subproperty rdfs:subClassOf .
>>

>> that would mean that each rif:subClassOf should be a rdf:subClassOf...
>> aehm... shouldn't it be - if any - just the other way around?
>>
>> rdfs:subClassOf is more specific.
>
> I don't think so. The original objection to using rdfs:subClassOf was
> the reflexivity. This permits rif:subClassof to not be reflexive.

but rdfs:subclass implies all kinds of other things wwhich we don't want
to be implied necessarily for rif:subClassOf on the other hand, right?

e.g.:

a rdfs:subClassOf b . x rdf:type a.

RDFS-entails (even RDF entails)

x rdf:type a.

Do we also want:

a rif:subClassOf b . x rdf:type b.

RDFS-entails

x rdf:type b. ??

(instead of *only*)

If so, we also want to make

rif:memberOf rdfs:subClassOf rdf:type

yes?

just for clarification...

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel@polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .