Re: Another try at subclass

Chris Welty wrote:

> </chair>
>
> Back in August I proposed a "friendly amendment" for the rif:subClassOf
> relation (aka ##) saying that:
>
> rif:subClassOf rdfs:subproperty rdfs:subClassOf .
>
> Michael was not opposed, he thought that it was obvious.  Jos replied as
> below, indicating some possible softness on the point.  I don't think
> DaveR responded. But I didn't push on it as some other thing must have
> come up (like vacation probably), and the thread ended with Jos' message
> below.

I think we discussed it briefly at a telecon.

> So before we give up on it, because I do think it would be useful to
> have in BLD, I'd like to see if this will make a difference to anyone,
> specifically the objectors to having rif:subClassOf (DaveR, Jos, ?).

I do think it helps a little.

It doesn't answer the question of why we are creating this semi-parallel
set of concepts in the first place.

However, it does address one of the sub-issues viz it helps us answer
the obvious question "so how do rif:type and rif:subClassOf related to
the similar sounding RDFS/OWL properties?". At a minimum if we put these
in BLD we need a clear answer to that question and this does that. Well
does half of it - would need a similar thing for rif:type (or whatever
the URI for # is).

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England