RE: [RIFRAF] Response to ACTION-179 --> CEP discussion

Paul,

We should probably address the subject in more detail outside of this
public discussion.

At the moment, let's say ECA are definitely on the RIF table but the
exact scope is yet to be determined and the only matter to be discussed
now are the discriminators.

I would not claim a full CEP model is what we are looking for but have a
look at the Reaction RuleML and REWERSE r3 links I had sent before.
These go beyond basic ECA but are not necessarily into CEP proper. RIF
might end up having something in between.

Cheers,

Alex

http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Rule-
>>  based_User_Notification_%28RUN%29_framework use case, referencing
the
>>  Prova rule system - http://www.prova.ws/ .
>>
>>  In terms of RIF and CEP, I can only say that the TIBCO CEP product
uses BOTH
>>  a state transition diagram AND ECA rules to represent CEP. Other
vendors
>>  provide stream-processing SQL-type languages. The CEP vendor
community
>>  (see http://www.complexevents.com/ ) is currently looking at the
possibility of
>>  standards, but as this is a "new market area" [although of course
CEP has been
>>  done using rules for a long time] the current opinion seems to be
quite cool on
>>  the idea. See other posts on the topic in
>>  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CEP-Interest/ and messages such
as
>>  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CEP-Interest/message/631
>>  etc
>>
>>  I would be wary of suggesting the RIF can handle CEP (beyond ECA) as
this
>>  implies to me event modelling/representation. But I may be wrong and
maybe
>>  there is a common (ie supported by >1 system type) event language /
XML
>>  representation / RDF mapping that already exists to support this?
For
>>  conventional production rules the data model is quite simple, and
the only event
>>  to consider is the service invocation event which is implied by the
>>  ruleset/rulesets' identifier (ie rule service).
>>
>>  I would also be wary of promoting RIF for CEP without support from
the wider
>>  vendor community in this area.
>>
>>  Cheers
>>
>>  Paul Vincent
>>  TIBCO - ETG/Business Rules

CEP
>>  (Complex
>>  >>  Event Processing) systems & uses a type of "ECA" rules, but
rules
>>  are defined in
>>  >>  terms of production rules (plus a state transition diagram). So
in
>>  terms of
>>  >>  representation (and interchange formats), production rules are
>>  sufficient for the
>>  >>  rules, but not for the full semantics of CEP. Indeed, the
execution
>>  semantics are
>>  >>  slightly different from (ie an event-driven superset of)
>>  conventional Rete-based
>>  >>  rule engines (ie PRR).
>>  >>
>>  >>  So: Business Events rule language ~= PRR + event semantics
>>  >>
>>  >>  And: in terms of rule classifications/ontologies, the ECA rules
used
>>  in TIBCO are
>>  >>  in effect a specialization of PRR. As event mechanisms can be
>>  considered out of
>>  >>  scope for RIF (in my opinion, as both the CEP world and
>>  organizations like OMG
>>  >>  SOA are in the early stages of investigating this as I
understand),
>>  full CEP rules
>>  >>  are unlikely to be an early candidate for RIF interchange.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Real world: supporting business rules (eg as supported in
RIF/PRR
>>  format)
>>  >>  *are* used to support CEP event rules, and are definitely a
>>  candidate for
>>  >>  interchange to this CEP system.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Summary(theory): many ECA rules may be considered derivatives /
>>  >>  specializations of production rules, with different semantics
(ie
>>  event processing
>>  >>  conditions and actions). For representation, they will be
covered by
>>  the
>>  >>  production rule representation extended to handle popular event
>>  tests and
>>  >>  actions. However, as RIF will not encode event persistence data,
the
>>  utility of
>>  >>  RIF for some ECA systems (such as CEP) will be limited. Note
there
>>  are no CEP
>>  >>  use cases.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Paul Vincent
>>  >>  TIBCO - ETG/Business Rules
>>  >>
>>  >>
RIFRAF
>>  (see
>>  >>  [1]
>>  >>  >>  for my action). I read the comments attached to the answers
>>  >>  section
>>  >>  >>  5's questions and tried to determine whether new questions
>>  should be
>>  >>  >>  added to this section or refinements of the existing
questions
>>  are
>>  >>  >>  desired. Below are some proposals for improving section 5 of
the
>>  >>  >>  questionnaire.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  (New discriminator to be added to 5.1)
>>  >>  >>  What kind of rules are used for realizing the reactive
>>  behaviour?
>>  >>  >>    * Event-Condition-Action (ECA) rules
>>  >>  >>    * Event-Condition-Action-Postcondition (ECAP) rules
>>  >>  >>    * Production rules
>>  >>  >>    * Other (Please specify!)
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  (Update of discriminator 5.1.2; add the possibility to
answer
>>  with
>>  >>  >>  'Mixed' to the question)
>>  >>  >>  Are the different parts of a rule (e.g. Event, Condition,
Action
>>  >>  parts
>>  >>  >>  for a ECA rule) clearly separated (separation of concerns)?
>>  >>  >>    * Yes
>>  >>  >>    * No
>>  >>  >>    * Mixed (some rules in the language follow such a
separation
>>  of
>>  >>  >>  concerns, some not)
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  The comments to the question 5.2.3 'Does the language
support
>>  only
>>  >>  >>  atomic events or also composite events (combinations of more
>>  than
>>  >>  one
>>  >>  >>  event such as temporal or events)?' could be considered as
basis
>>  for
>>  >>  a
>>  >>  >>  new discriminator for the (concrete) types of composite
events
>>  >>  >>  supported. The problem is that there are two many
possibilities
>>  for
>>  >>  such
>>  >>  >>  concrete composite events supported by a reactive language.
>>  >>  Moreover,
>>  >>  >>  the questionnaire already contains similar discriminators
but
>>  more
>>  >>  >>  abstract (see 5.2.6 and 5.2.7). Thus, I propose not to add a
new
>>  >>  >>  discriminator for types of composite events.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  What is your opinion on the proposals above?
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  Best regards from Munich,
>>  >>  >>  Paula
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/actions/179
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  >>  In order to protect our email recipients, Betfair use
SkyScan