RE: asn06/OWL vs. UML [was: asn06 take 2 (Abstract Syntax as a kind of ontology?)]

From: Gerd Wagner <wagnerg@tu-cottbus.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:55:04 +0100
To: "'Dave Reynolds'" <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "'Christian de Sainte Marie'" <csma@ilog.fr>
Cc: "'Sandro Hawke'" <sandro@w3.org>, <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

> I agree UML is genuine option.
>
> As you say there is the "interchange within the WG" issue that we've
> already discussed [1].

Why not exchanging diagrams (together with some serialization,
e.g. in OWL)?

> Second there is the issue that the point of this is for
> extensibility.
> In Sandro's "use a small OWL fragment with syntactic sugar"
> proposal we
> can exploit the extensibility of OWL. When an extension needs
> to add new
> productions to an existing abstract syntax node it just
> declares a new
> subclass. That new declaration can be in another self contained OWL
> model and merging the two models is both well defined and
> simple. It's
> not clear to me that either is true of merging in the UML case, but
> perhaps that's a limitation of my knowledge of UML.

Yes, it is. UML provides sophisticated ways of merging packages
(similar to XMLS's possibilities with import and redefine).

> Third, in Sandro's extensibility proposal [2] a RIF processor
> would go
> out and resolve the namespace of a unknown syntax element and
> obtain ...
> something. With the asn06-as-OWL approach that something could be or
> include OWL. Whereas the equivalent for UML, XMI, really
> seems to be a
> tool for diagram exchange rather than runtime data exchange [3].

No, XMI is a model, not a diagram, exchange language, so
you have all of the language definition encoded.

> [By the way, how does "list of X" work in UML?]

I don't see for what this would be needed in an abstract syntax?

-Gerd