Re: proposed: use abstract syntax notation (asn06)

Evan,

ewallace@cme.nist.gov wrote:

> [...]  Please provide a description of the
> goals motivating the use of an abstract syntax for RIF, and the
> characteristics that would be important for an abstract syntax
> notation in the RIF context.  Then the working group can evaluate
> whether it is a good idea to define an abstract syntax, and
> what notation would be most appropriate for it.

The use of an abstract syntax was discussed before (at telecons) and
during the F2F, and my understanding is that we have a broad agreement
that RIF (Core and dialects) will be primarily specified at that level.

I did not remember hearing any objection on that (at least not to an
abstract syntax being useful): the discussion on Sandro's proposal has
been entirely re which notation to use, that is, on the characteristics
that would be important.

If you have objections to using an abstract syntax per se, could you
state them, please?