Re: [TED] CORE Pages on Positive Conditions and Horn Rules Edited: Slots & Constraints

Boley, Harold wrote:
> Referring to the slides of an F2F4 breakout session
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2006Nov/0025.html),
> I edited two wiki pages for extending the existing work with
> slots and calls to external constraint solvers (ACTION-180):

Thanks. I'm not sure I properly understood the results from the breakout
session so forgive me if these questions are off base ...

> Slots (CORE Page on Positive Conditions):
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/A.1_Basis%3A_Positive_Conditions
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/A.1_Basis%3A_Positive_Conditions?ac
> tion=diff&rev2=45&rev1=43

That just seems to add slotted notation in as an additional piece of
syntax. For some reason I'd had the impression that the proposal was
that the slotted notation would be the fundamental one with labels '1',
'2' etc used to translate positional notation. I guess I expected the
revised abstract syntax to only have slotted notation and there would be
a separate "with syntactic sugar" syntax layered on top.

Note, it's not that I'm necessarily trying to push for this just trying
to understand at this stage.

> Calls to external constraint solvers (CORE Page on Horn Rules):
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/B.1_Horn_Rules
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/B.1_Horn_Rules?action=diff&rev2=24&
> rev1=22

First, I guess I have the same question as above. This seems to have
EXTCALL added as an optional extra call whereas I thought the proposed
most primitive form of RIF Core was slotted notation with a conjunction
of ground dot-notation terms in the constraint equation.

Second, and related, presumably there needs to be an abstract syntax for
the primitive constraint equations needed for Herbrand terms?