RE: [RIF][UCR]Decision Support

Leora,

Overall I think the condensation of this use case turned out quite
well.  I would have liked if it had retained the mention of RIF-enabled
decision support as having a wider field of application (because of
MITRE's convoy support example), but it's easy enough for a reader to
extrapolate.

One sentence in the case raised questions for me, since I have no
medical expertise:  Bob tells the neurologist that he was "taking
Diamicron, ... forgetting that he had been switched to Metformin."
    (1) The sentence suggests that Bob was in fact previously taking
Diamicron, but that is the first mention of Diamicron, at least by that
name -- perhaps it is equivalent to something mentioned earlier?
    (2) The example stated that the doctor switched Bob to "Glucophage
and Avandia."  True, earlier, a parenthesis mentioned that Glucophage
is "(metformin, one of the biguanides)"; but it's not clear to me
whether metformin is the generic equivalent of Glucophage, or a class
of drugs to which Glucophage belongs.  The information on Bob that is
pulled from the patient data base says he is "taking Metformin."  I
might guess from this that Metformin is somehow equivalent to (or
subsumes) Glucophage, but it could be clearer.

Perhaps clarifying those details would illustrate that ontological
knowledge (here, about related or equivalent drug classes) is indeed
essential if rules are really going to operate together.  In that
connection, I liked the inclusion of Jeff's sentence referring to
ontologies as one source of information for decision support.

Deborah