Re: [UCR] RIF needs different reasoning methods

From: Francois Bry <bry@ifi.lmu.de>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:02:49 +0100
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
CC: public-rif-wg@w3.org

Dear Bijan,
> It's declaring their expressive profile? I mean, is it (anything like)
> the OWL species? Or the KIF conformance profiles?
>     <http://logic.stanford.edu/kif/dpans.html#12.3>
They don't.

> Well, if they give the same answers....isn't everything else just an
> implementation detail?
Well, one might call 'implementation detail' everything that goes beyond
theoretical considerations. In my opinion, the capability to specify
different kinds of rules and/or different kind of reasoning is essential
for the RIF to be well received in practice.
> This doesn't mean it's not worth identifying important fragments and
> profiles (though that can be quite the painful game...hard to get right).
It is not hard if one considers what business rules in practice are.

Regards,

Francois