Re: exchanging OWL through RIF

At 13:49 +0100 3/6/06, Ulrike Sattler wrote:
>On 3 Mar 2006, at 16:49, Jim Hendler wrote:
>

>>  Paul - there's a lot more to this, and some of it is in the
>>vocabulary -- let me start simple - in this case when I say "OWL" I
>>don't mean the theoretical content of some ontology, I mean a
>>document somewhere on the Web which contains RDF/OWL description -
>>for example, if you point your browser at
>>www.mindswap.org/2003/CancerOntology/nciOncology.owl (be careful,
>>it is big) then you would see a particvular version of this
>>ontology (the definitive version lives in NIH space and I don't
>>have the link at the moment, it's considerably bigger than this 25M
>>one).
>>
>>   Enter RIF (phase 2) - we want to take the stuff in that NCI
>>ontology, take that document to our cancer research center, and
>>check to see whether the data gathered in our datatbase corresponds
>>to the expectations of the OWL model.  So, for example, if we see
>>that an ONCOGENE is defined as any GENE which is ASSOCIATED with a
>>DISEASE that is of type CANCER - we could go to the database and
>>pull out all the things that are ONCOGENEs by this definition,
>>  This couldn't be done by OWL itself - it's a variant  of the
>>famous "uncle" thing- essentially we need a chaining rule in here
>>(from Gene to disease and disease to cancer)
>>

>I am sorry, but I have to disagree: this is easily possible in OWL
>itself: simple retrieve all instances of ONCOGENEs: any DL reasoner
>(eg Pellet) will retrieve exactly all instances of oncogene, whether
>they have been declared as such or whether they are genes that are
>associated with a disease of type cancer....
>
>Cheers, Uli

Uli - I'm talking a mix of A-box and T-box with chaining, exactly
like the uncle case, I didn't specify details as I figured it wasn't
needed - but even if I got this case wrong, the point is someone w/a
DB may want to "ground" a set of assertions and then find all the
values in the DB via chaining - so it requires multiple steps of
non-functional predicates - which is what Ian keeps telling us all
that OWL cannot do in its pure form.
  -JH

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	  	  301-405-2696