Re: [RIF] A Modest Proposal: Work Out Some Concrete Examples; Example-1: CHANGE-BABY-IF-WET rule

You are trying to use first-order logic to analyze what this logic is
ill-suited to do. It is a production rule whose semantics is best and
described in Transaction Logic
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Transaction_Logic.
For instance, in
FLORA-2, which supports much of Transaction Logic, this Jess rule would
look like this:

changeBabyIfWet(?Baby) :-
	wet(?Baby),
	changeBaby(?Baby),
	delete{wet(?Baby)}.

change(?Baby) can also be defined via a rule as deleting the old diaper and
inserting a new one where appropriate. The exact definition depends on how
exactly you represent diapers and the fact that a particular diaper is on a
particular baby.

In Transaction Logic, the above changeBabyIfWet(?Baby) would be a
state-changing action. It is defined as a sequence of queries and other
actions. In our case, it is defined as a query (wet(?Baby)) followed by an
action (changeBaby(?Baby)), which changes the underlying state by replacing
the old diaper with a new one, and then deleting the fact that the
specified baby is wet.

	--michael