RE: [RIF][UCR] Suggestion for new Abstract UC

From: Vincent, Paul D <PaulVincent@fairisaac.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:56:42 -0800
To: <edbark@nist.gov>, "W3C RIF WG" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

Can we just agree that:

  The Human-Oriented Rules use case will demonstrate the requirements
for

formal rule exchanges between "business rule management" systems and
other

software systems.

And then see what we get?

-Ed

I confess this aspect of John's e-mail escaped me entirely. As humans
(and even business managers :-)) are capable of interpreting a wide
range of styles of text, standardization of such texts for interchange
purposes has never been requested (of us as a BRMS vendor). Generally
the BRMS vendors provide different + flexible mechanisms for mapping
executable (production) rules to human readable rules. I would question
whether there is a real need for standardizing at this level / type of
interchange at this point in time, with the caveat that semantic web
researchers may identify a use case I'm oblivious to.

Thanks,

Paul Vincent for Fair Isaac