Re: Introductions

Principal, Attending F2F

I'm a senior researcher at DFKI (Kaiserslautern site,
Knowledge Management Department) and co-head of
CCSW (Competence Center Semantic Web, http://ccsw.dfki.de/).

I have developed, together with Stefan Decker, the
rule language TRIPLE (http://triple.semanticweb.org),
which is based on Horn logic (and comes with a
syntax resembling F-Logic, but adapted for the needs
of the Semantic Web).

I'm working on the SmartWeb project
(http://www.smartweb-project.de/)
where we develop multi-modal access to the Semantic Web,
which heavily involves the use of rules and ontologies.
In this project, we also investigate means to combine
Horn rules and OWL.

* Contact information:
  see http://www.michael-sintek.de/

* What you expect to get out of this WG:

I hope at the end we will have come up with either
one language or (IMHO, more likely) a set of languages
(similar to the RuleML hierarchy of languages) useful
for many Semantic Web and other scenarios, and
which is/are compatible to RDF/S and OWL (but I'm
by no means sure what compatible means here :-) ).
One of the most important features I want this
language to possess is being compatible with the general
idea of the Semantic Web, i.e., being of highly
distributed nature and supposed to enable interaction
between actors (including ontology and data exchange/
mapping/integration/negotiation/...). I think we do
not need another pure AI language that perfectly integrates
some paradigms (like Horn and DL) and for which
completeness and correctness have been proven
if you have a stand-alone/local ontology/knowledge base,
but which fails to work with mutliple
ontologies/knowledge/rule bases on the (Semantic) *Web*.
Another feature of the Semantic Web is its inherent
"inexactness," which also (in Phase two) must be
tackled.

* What you hope/expect to contribute:

my experience with designing a Semantic Web rule
language; test cases from the SmartWeb project;
probably even an implementation

Michael

--
Michael Sintek -- DFKI GmbH, Kaiserslautern
http://www.michael-sintek.de -- sintek@dfki.uni-kl.de