Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 2014-05-16 12:06 David Singer wrote:
> On May 16, 2014, at 12:00 , cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:
> > I think the need to phrase things that apologetically makes abundantly
> > clear how widespread the support for DRM isn't, at least  on the end-user
> > side

> Except that the users want to keep watching the content.

'want to keep watching the content'
is not the same as
'want to keep watching the content *and* be forced to use drm'

If I need to work to eat, and the only place around to work in is a abusive
sweatshop
then I'll work in the sweatshop,
but that doesn't mean I want to be in the abusive sweatshop

(yes eating and consuming media is not the same kind of thing, and with media
things are certainly a lot less dire and thus clearcut)

> And you’re mis-representing the argument.

misrepresenting the argument how?

> >> We are saying "we don't like DRM, but sadly we have to implement it" in
> >> public, and we are doing exactly that, in public.
> >
> > Mozilla doesn't "have to", Mozilla is "choosing to"
> > That's a crucial difference and not one you get to sweep under the rug
>
> Their assessment is that it is necessary if outcomes they do not want are to
> be avoided. That’s a requirement, “have to”.

that assessment is not backed with facts, hence it's a wild ass guess

it can't be backed with facts either way before EME is widely deployed and
subsequent market share evolution becomes known (and the last big market-share
reason for content-providers to think twice about using DRM)

by making the concession to support a DRM specific-api now,
Mozilla is taking away the last main-stream option with a no-DRM stance.

By doing so we all loose the chance chance for everybody to find out whether or
not declining to support DRM would lead to loss (or gain) of marketshare
I claim it won't, you claim it will, now we'll never know for sure

the fact that this assessment is not backed with facts makes it
- 'want' not 'requires', and
- 'chooses to' not 'have to'
--
Cheers