Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 2014-05-16 12:37 David Singer wrote:
> On May 16, 2014, at 12:34 , cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:

> >> Indeed, that a product is capable of doing something does not mean you
> >> have to use it. A feature of a product that is irrelevant to you does not
> >> make it less of a feature,
> >
> > the feature is not irrelevant to me,
> > the feature is abhorrent to me
>
> so don’t use it.

I don't, but the industry is making that increasingly hard by:

- trying very hard to eliminate all the main-stream software choices that
allow me to do so

- obfuscating which media use drm and which don't
(e.g. some ebooks have drm and some don't, but most of the time there's no way
to tell before buying and finding out)

> if you feel so strongly, DO something, and stop complaining about others

I am doing something, I'm speaking up.

Not being dictator of the world that's the *only* thing I can do when I see
other people or organizations (like the W3C and Mozilla) fall of the wagon and
start doing what I consider harmful shit namely actively supporting the
misfeature called DRM

(before you start: creating entirely new special purpose api's, sandbox
systems, and bodies of code is definitely in the category 'actively
supporting')

If enough people do so, we just might change their choice,
and if not I for one will move to alternatives, however non-mainstream they
might turn out to be.

> who are DOING the best they can.

yep, and that part I just plain disagree with

EME is not yet deployed, consequently there is currently no proof for
Mozilla's sudden assertion that they need to support it to avoid market share
loss, that's an unsubstantiated industry viewpoint assertion.

Mozilla caving now, instead of *if* and when it turns out they loose market
share because of it, is not doing the 'best they can', not in my book
--
Cheers