Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 2014-05-16 10:46, David Singer wrote:
> On May 16, 2014, at 12:42 , Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net> wrote:
>> You can't give up your principles as soon as they threaten your
>> existence.  If you do, they were never principles in the first place.
>
> You might ask how many vegetarians starve when the only food
> available is contrary to there principles.

Vegtarianism is a practice.  The word refers to the act of following a
particular type of diet.  It isn't a principle.  It may be motivated by
principles but not necessarily.  And if it is, those principles are not
the same thing as the category of diet.

But assuming you meant "vegetarians with principles" then indeed, we
are on the same page.

> Mozilla’s blog reveals
> very clearly that they see conflicts in their principles and thought
> very hard about how to handle that.

Right.  Their hard thinking was essentially an evaluation of whether
their organisation, in fact, has principles.  Unfortunately their
introspection revealed that it doesn't.

--
Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }