Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Try this one: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn466732

A sentence of interest in that document: "To support Microsoft
PlayReady EME, browsers must implement MSE and EME APIs onto their
Media Foundation equivalents."

Compare with how one supports Adobe ADEPT for EPUB: If you want to
support ADEPT, you embed Adobe's EPUB engine—CSS formatter and
all—into you reading app. What if Kobo wants to support an engine
feature not supported by Adobe's engine? Well, they get to ship
another CSS formatter next to Adobe's and that CSS formatter is used
for Kobo DRM books—but not for ADEPT books.

>> A DRM implementation cannot be open source either.
>
> There are several counter-examples, for example OMA DRM.

We've been over this before. The key question is whether what's
shipped to users is still under Open Source licensing terms *only*.
It's not that interesting if some Open Source code goes into an
end-user product, but the end-user product as a whole is proprietary.
Some BSD code in Windows doesn't make Windows Open Source as a whole.
Quite a bit more BSD code in OS X doesn't make OS X Open Source as a
whole.

Also, the particular (now dead) OMA DRM implementation in question
seemed to rely on Tivoization for robustness and, therefore, would
probably not have gotten its keys signed by the trust root on a
non-Tivoized system.

> However, as explained above, it's entirely possible for a FOSS browser to
> integrate with a non-FOSS CDM that is distributed separately, for example
> with the OS.

It seems to me that people in this thread are not only interested in
FOSS browsers but also in FOSS operating systems.

Or even non-Windows operating systems. I'd be curious to see existence
proof of a PlayReady Final Product for OS X shipped by someone other
than Microsoft (i.e. Silverlight for Mac doesn't count).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi