Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group

Henri Sivonen:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>>> A DRM implementation cannot be open source either.
>>
>> There are several counter-examples, for example OMA DRM.
>
> We've been over this before. The key question is whether what's
> shipped to users is still under Open Source licensing terms *only*.
> It's not that interesting if some Open Source code goes into an
> end-user product, but the end-user product as a whole is proprietary.
> Some BSD code in Windows doesn't make Windows Open Source as a whole.
> Quite a bit more BSD code in OS X doesn't make OS X Open Source as a
> whole.

+1

>> However, as explained above, it's entirely possible for a FOSS browser to
>> integrate with a non-FOSS CDM that is distributed separately, for example
>> with the OS.
>
> It seems to me that people in this thread are not only interested in
> FOSS browsers but also in FOSS operating systems.

That is a key point. Maybe Mozilla Firefox can live on proprietary
operating systems which contain and offer DRM "content protection" or
maybe not.

But Debian *can not* include such "features", it would be excluded
*because* it is open, to help protect *closed* technology.

Cheers,
Andreas