Re: A new standards body (was: Re: Campaign for position of chair and mandate to close this community group)

On 2014/01/14 17:27, David Singer wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2014, at 2:23 , Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:26:48 +0000 Fred Andrews wrote:
>>
>>> People disagreeing with the HTML Working Group in the matter of
>>> content protection have been redirected here
>>
>>> Don't be used by Tim and the W3C, vote me in as Chair
>>
>> The W3C is lost.  It is no longer an organisation for an open web.
>> Can I suggest that rather than wasting energy trying to work within
>> it, you recognise the reality of the situation and work from there?
>>
>> A new body is required to take on the responsibility of providing
>> standards for an open web.
>
> And the sky is falling. We need a new sky.
>
> The degree of hyperbole is amusing, but it really doesn’t help this
> discussion, or to address your concerns, or to advance the discussion.

I can actually see the point of Bob Ham and it's a good point.

There's been an ongoing disagreement accompanied with about a year of
intense and at times heated and verbose non-discussion about EME and W3
principles..

It's become impossible to argument such basic things as, what does the
following statement mean:

"One of W3C's primary goals is to make these benefits available to all
people, whatever their hardware, software...."

The answers to such criticism have too often been unsatisfactory. Or
it's been this technicality, "EME does not do that, it's CDMs".

I don't see the hyperbole. There's a fundamental disagreement with no
room, let alone attempts, for compromise. I think we've all proved that
here. We're trying to persuade each other with real arguments and facts,
yet somehow the other side always sees it as irrelevant, false, and a
repetition of what was already said.

At some point, the only thing left to agree on is that we cannot agree,
it's technically not possible.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com