Re: DRM in HTML5 A Betrayal of Public Trust

There are a few interesting assumptions there. I work at a company that is
a W3C member, but we do not have a direct interest in this so I'm at least
somewhat impartial [1].

- "*Fake it til you make it.*". From previous discussion I would interpret
this as Netflix (and others) developing it because they need to, regardless
of a standards process.
- "*thinly veiled threats to deprive the world of movies*". These are
hardly threats, the movies we are talking about are not *currently *available
(legally) on the "open web". And they won't be without some form of DRM
that satisfies the content-owners. The proposed standard bridges HTML5 and
DRM. That will happen whether or not the W3C is involved.

You are also shooting the messenger. Netflix is essentially a middle man
here, they don't need persuading that DRM is bad, I'm sure they would be
happy not to use DRM. It is the content-owners who need persuading.

There are really only two things that can change at this point:
1. Whether the W3C is involved in the process of standardisation. FWIW, I
think the result would be better if it is done within the W3C.
2. A new, viable alternative is created that would satisfy the content
owners.

In short, I think you're targeting the wrong organisations, and unless a
viable alternative is created (in the eyes of the content-owners) you are
not going to achieve anything. You might even set back the more progressive
organisations involved in distributing content online.

NB: "In the eyes of the content-owners" is a key caveat here. Even if such
a scheme existed they would need to see a business succeed whilst using it,
which is a pretty tall order. I suspect this would only happen as part of a
larger shift in how the movie industry works.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

1] We (Nomensa) do user-research and web development. I personally don't
like DRM and avoid *buying *DRMed content whenever possible. However, I'm
happy to use services like Netflix as that is essentially hiring content,
not buying it, and I am fully aware of the deal.