Re: Forwarded Invite to Discussion of EME at the European Parliament, Oct. 15, 11:00-13:00

On Oct 18, 2013, at 4:04 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> 1. Continue with status-quo, there is no method of using DRM on the web.
>> Movies are not released (legally) and plugins and proprietary appliances
>> continue to be required. IMHO that will be to the advantage of big
>> business because the demand for main stream entertainment will mean those plugins
>> and appliances flourish, continuing the status-quo.
>
> And if it's to their advantage, so be it.  The aim here is not to get
> movie companies to abandon DRM, or discover a way of making
> million-dollar movies on a shoestring budget.  Likewise, it's not to
> ensure that movie companies continue making a profit, or that I can
> legally watch Futurama on my Linux laptop.
>
> The aim is to prevent the W3C compromising its values, and harming the
> open web, by accepting DRM.

Actually, there are competing aims;  it's a problem in this discussion that you are unable to see that.

There is an aim not to weaken the open web by making it impossible to use it for a whole class of content, for example.

Until we can see *all* the issues, facts, problems, opportunities, on the table, we'll not be able to find the best balance.

David Singer