Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

Mhyst wrote:

> As for me, I'd prefer to deny the existence of digital copies of what
> content owners want to "protect". I don't give up freedom just for
> convenience.

Personally I agree with you and don't buy DRMed content [1], but if most
people agreed with you and refused to buy DRMed content this would be a
very different discussion.

I'm afraid the ostrich approach [2] just means that media companies will
carry on producing, and regular consumers will carry on using DRMed
content.

I would suggest an educational campaign, but I'm not convinced enough
people would care even if they understood.

-Alastair

1] There are a few things, like ebooks where I've decided "renting" books
from Amazon is ok when they are not available elsewhere. It is in Amazon's
interest to keep the scheme going. Also, I understand that I'm streaming
content from Netflix, I do not own any of it.

2]
http://kids.nationalgeographic.co.uk/kids/stories/animalsnature/animal-myths-busted/
I know it's a myth, but it's an analogy.