Re: What is the "open web" ?

On 2013/06/02 21:09, Mark Watson wrote:
> Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my computer that has a Microsoft sticker underneath it even
though I didn't pay the license but I guess it means I accept to run
non-free software and hence should embrace DRM. /s

This whole discussion about non-free drivers for graphic boards and GPS
is 100% irrelevant to EME.

Mark, again and again you've been kindly replied to on the subject and
from various angles. Even if all GPU's run non-free code it's still
irrelevant, unless they run non-free code so they can implement
functionality described in the W3 spec. Please let me know if I am wrong
here.

>> I'm not sure this is the case; I believe that it's true that there are
>> GPS chips and graphics cards out there with open source drivers,
>> including for accelerated 3D. If you believe these examples hold, can
>> you say exactly which part of the GPS or 3D stacks is entirely
>> unavailable as open source software for any existing hardware?
>
> I mean the hardware itself and the software/firmware that runs on it.

Again:

- There are no functional reasons that would oblige a graphic board or
GPS chip to run using non-free code. A chip that does use non-free code
is a choice that remains unrelated to the W3, for now.

> What would be your opinion if the DRM capabilities were included in
> hardware, such as a graphics card, and a driver could be implemented
> as open source without permissions / licenses ? Just trying to
> understand where you draw the line.

Instead, explain to me how this would fit with:
http://www.w3.org/standards/agents/Overview.html

"We should be able to publish regardless of the software we use, the
computer we have, the language we speak, whether we are wired or
wireless, regardless of our sensory or interaction modes. We should be
able to access the web from any kind of hardware that can connect to the
Internet – stationary or mobile, small or large. W3C facilitates this
listening and blending via international web standards. These standards
ensure that all the crazy brilliance continues to improve a web that is
open to us all."

So (again), will I be able to publish EME (DRM'd content) regardless of
the software I use ?

I've already asked the above question, no reply. I am beginning to think
this might be a tough question to answer.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com