Re: "Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages"

Jeff Jaffe:
> On 7/11/2013 3:27 PM, piranna@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I don't understand why a closed implementation of an API for
>>> encrypted media
>>> helps the NSA get metadata about users emails and phone calls.

The NSA also is responsible for malware such as Stuxnet and Flame.

>> Are you kidding us? A closed implementation of WHATEVER can host
>> anything inside it,
>
> Sure I understand that part, but that appears to be related to the
> fact that certain companies ship closed code and has nothing to do
> with the specifics of EME.

EME is an attempt to get proprietary software (CDMs) included in systems
which with the exception of that proprietary software contains
reasonably secure Open Source and to attack Open Source in general.

The interests of the NSA (and other similar organisations around the
world) and proprietary software vendors here are completely aligned.
Even the terminology sometimes is the same as demonstrated by Google
Widevine promoting "Silent monitoring".

Cheers,
Andreas