Re: walling of the web

On Monday, Mon, 2013/07/01, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

> > > For clarity, W3C has not at this stage supported DRM on the Web.
> >
> > Blatantly stating that DRM is necessary definately falls under the
> > heading of supporting DRM.
>
> Well what I actually said is that we don't want the content (that is
> currently protected by DRM) severed from the Web.

despite all the efforts of Big Content that content is NOT currently
protected by DRM, nor is it severed from the web:
it's all over the torrentsites (and youtube in a lot of cases)

that simple fact makes this a feculent argument

> As I said above and in the blog post, there is content that we believe
> content owners will protect.  We accept that requirement.

I'm still looking for a valid answer as to _why_ you accept that
requirement.

So far it seems to boil down to "Big Content wants us to"
(that pretty much everyone else doesn't want you to is apperently not as
important)

Content protection is an attempt to use technology to make an non-rivalrous
good, rivalrous.
That may be good for the (outdated) businessmodels of Big Content it is not
good for anyone else

> Almost everyone accepts that access control is a valid requirement;
> although many don't accept DRM as an acceptable method to protect
> content.  But it happened long ago that content is protected on the web.

access control and content protection(aka DRM) are two fundamentally
different beasts.

Access control is about who gets to access the serverside resource, it's
also a solved probem (passwords, certificates, 2 factor authentication)

DRM is about enforcing 3th party limitations of what your own
machine/software is allowed to do, it's an attempt to make a general-purpose
computer into something else.
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)