Re: EME is about restriction

On Monday, Mon, 2013/07/01, Duncan Bayne wrote:
> The primary motivation behind DRM is for content producers to have
> leverage against device manufacturers - where 'device' in this context
> includes software players.

That's Ma Bell determining what may and may not be connected all over again.
Could we maybe not repeat the mistakes of the past?

The whole point of a standard is to be a point of interaction between
multiple parties without needing explicit coordination beyond conforming to
the standard:
- party A provides their content in standard manner
- party B plugs in their application/device to access that content
- as long as both party A and party B conform to the standard no further
coordination is needed (thus allowing from experimentation and innovation at
both sides)

EME (and DRM in general) explicitly breaks that model, and by doing so stops
being a standard in spirit.

Why is this a use case the W3C wants to support?
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)