Re: aspect ratio as an attribute

From: Adam van den Hoven <adam@littlefyr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 08:03:51 -0800
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Alex Bell <alex@bellandwhistle.net>, public-respimg@w3.org, Paul Deschamps <pdescham49@gmail.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, Tommy Hodgins <tomhodgins@gmail.com>, Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com>, Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>, "Hall, Charles (DET-MRM)" <Charles.Hall@mrm-mccann.com>, Jonathan Kingston <jonathan@jooped.co.uk>, Steve Claflin <steve@steveclaflin.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Sorry, I was referring to the idea of redefining the height and width
attributes to express resource dimensions.

Adam

On Dec 22, 2016 5:25 AM, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:37:48 +0100, Adam van den Hoven <adam@littlefyr.com>
wrote:

I agree with two caveats. First, for better or worse this will break enough
> of the internet that I wouldn't be surprised if the browser guys balked at
> it.

"The browser guys" are participating in this very discussion. :-)

A new HTML attribute or CSS property typically does not break the Web. Can
you elaborate on what you think would break?

Second, you would need to account for srcset; they may all likely have
> the same aspect ratio, they will not have the same dimensions.

After density-correction, they should all have the same dimensions (modulo
rounding errors, at least).

Adding aspect may be a sufficient solution for what we wish to accomplish.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software