Re: aspect ratio as an attribute

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:25:31 +0100
To: "Adam van den Hoven" <adam@littlefyr.com>
Cc: "Steve Claflin" <steve@steveclaflin.com>, public-respimg@w3.org, "alex@bellandwhistle.net" <alex@bellandwhistle.net>, "Paul Deschamps" <pdescham49@gmail.com>, "Yoav Weiss" <yoav@yoav.ws>, "Jason Grigsby" <jason@cloudfour.com>, "Tommy Hodgins" <tomhodgins@gmail.com>, "Jonathan Kingston" <jonathan@jooped.co.uk>, "Hall, Charles (DET-MRM)" <Charles.Hall@mrm-mccann.com>, "Greg Whitworth" <gwhit@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:37:48 +0100, Adam van den Hoven
<adam@littlefyr.com> wrote:

> I agree with two caveats. First, for better or worse this will break
> enough
> of the internet that I wouldn't be surprised if the browser guys balked
> at
> it.

"The browser guys" are participating in this very discussion. :-)

A new HTML attribute or CSS property typically does not break the Web. Can
you elaborate on what you think would break?

> Second, you would need to account for srcset; they may all likely have
> the same aspect ratio, they will not have the same dimensions.

After density-correction, they should all have the same dimensions (modulo
rounding errors, at least).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software