Re: JPEG 2000 (was: Multiple image files?)

From: Eric Portis <lists@ericportis.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:03:56 -0700
To: Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>
Cc: Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, "public-respimg@w3.org" <public-respimg@w3.org>
On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Yoav Weiss wrote:
> I think it would be extremely helpful if someone could run some JP2K tests and prove or disprove Henri's claims.
> The following comment https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.platform/9NKc7OeEFLM/kH35YH62uMUJ suggests that it's a matter of encoder settings.

It took a few months, but I finally got around to running some tests:

http://ericportis.com/posts/2014/resolution-progressive-jpeg2000-performance/

The results for JPEG2000 were not good.

See the encoder settings used in footnote #3. From my reading of the docs, the key one seems to be setting RLCP progression order, vs the default LRCP (which is progressive quality, ala Progressive JPEGs).

—eric