Re: Compressive images test

From: Andy Davies <dajdavies@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:18:53 +0100
To: Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com>
Cc: "public-respimg@w3.org" <public-respimg@w3.org>

> This led me to believe that instrumenting it was probably not going to
> work because if we couldn't get good data from Chrome, the chances of
> getting it from a feature phone is non-existent.
>
> I think we're looking at crude tests like what Ben suggested.
> Progressively more challenging pages that we then have a bunch of people
> test on a range of devices and ask people to observe behavior. Does it
> crash the browser? Is scrolling slower? Etc.
>
> I can't think of a way to make it scientific, but perhaps we can do
> something that is at least informative.

Perhaps one way of doing this might be

1. Build two test pages - one with compressive images, one without
2. Find the crappiest device with a DPR of 1 and run Android 4.x and Chrome
3. Use Telemetry (http://www.chromium.org/developers/telemetry) to profile
the pages loading on the device

I'm quite happy to have a play with this to see if it gives us anything
meaningful but can anyone suggest a suitable device?

Andy