Re: [respimg] a perfect responsive solution should not tamper the HTML syntax with too much repeating information

From: Mark <mark.mcdonnell@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:55:47 +0100
To: "public-respimg@w3.org" <public-respimg@w3.org>
Hi all,

Just quickly throwing my opinion hat into the circle.

In short...

  * We need a combination of server-side and client-side solutions.

  * I like Client Hints.

  * I like *srcset*.

  * Ultimately I realise now there is no elegant way to incorporate so
    much information into a single tag or solution...

      o ...that's just the way it is so we'll need to choose the "lesser
        of the two evils".

  * I used to hate Picture Element because the markup was so verbose
    (extra page weight was my biggest concern)...

      o ...but now I prefer Picture Element compared to src-N
        (https://gist.github.com/Wilto/27d6925e8c1a71a87a03#comment-931991
        it's just as bloated).

      o OK, I know it doesn't solve every use case but I still prefer
        the syntax now.

  * Although I prefer Picture Element I'll understand if people choose
    src-N...

      o ...because it works with an existing tag, and as far as I'm
        aware a src-N polyfill could have better perf than a Picture
        Element polyfill.

  * BUT src-N seems to incorporate similar functionality to *srcset*
    (now we have *srcset* we shouldn't implement something else that
    almost makes it redundant, right)?

  * src-N syntax (especially viewport-url) is starting to get quite...
    hairy (i.e. complicated/convoluted, going to take a while to get
    that committed to memory).

I think that covers everything?

Feel free to comment.

M.