Re: What do we do with picture?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Jason Grigsby wrote:

> It was only 20 days ago that src-n was first discussed on this list.
>
> I *think* I like src-n. It seems to have a lot of promise. But after months or years of discussing picture and srcset, I feel like I need more time before saying, "Yeah, src-n is a winner."
src-n is just a compression of picture and srcset into a single proposal (+ the viewport-url stuff as a cherry on-top). The fundamentals have not really change, just the representation of how the use cases are solved has. Mat and others have done the leg work already into seeing how polyfillable the new solution is (or not!), and we've also raised a bunch of issues with Tab about viewport-urls on IRC. It's why I, at least, feel confident enough to bring this to the list: I don't feel we are looking at something fundamentally new here - just the same stuff from a different angle.

Perhaps we need a prollyfill so we can see it in action before we make any drastic decisions?

> Seems strange to be asked to drop picture so quickly. Is the same request being made of srcset?

Yes. src-n supersedes them both. However, Tab and John still need to convince Hixie and Hober to drop srcset from HTML.
> If I were a betting man, I'd say our energy is going to figuring out if src-n will work or not. So it is probably low risk to move picture to a note now, but it does seem premature. If we move it to a note and then we find that src-n doesn't live up to its promise, then what's the process to resurrect it?

It's trivial, we jus move it back onto the REC track. It's also trivial to leave it on the REC track for now and republish it. I'd like to do this before November.

> My guess given the fact people have been trying to kill picture for quite some time, if it is published as a note, there is no going back. So we better be damn sure we're cool with src-n.

This is exactly why I started this thread :) Get everyone thinking very seriously around this.