Re: RDFa DOM API: Adding RDF triples to the DOM

On 24 Feb 2010, at 14:06, Benjamin Adrian wrote:

> Hi Toby,
>
> I don't  believe that it is just little rewarded.
>
> Who will annotate all these plain HTML documents and link it to all
> these wonderful Linked Data Sets?
> Wouldn't it be cool to add result triples of a SPARQL query to my
> web page  text content?
> Wouldn't it be cool if my browser plugin automatically enriches web
> pages with Linked Data sources I am interested in? (Think about Ebay
> and Amazon Spongers)
>
> I think RDFa annotations don't have to be as static as web page text
> content.
> They should be generated on the fly depending on the reader's or
> writer's current task, interest, mood, or other context.
>
> But at the moment, it's really awful to add add automatically RDFa
> to low level DOM structures.

Sure, I agree with everything above.

> So addTriple methods are needed in an DOM RDFa API !

This doesn't follow from what you said above. The things you demand
can be done in specific applications and browser plugins.

The DOM RDFa API is the RDF community's shot at getting some level of
support at the browser level into the major web browsers. Your work in
the WG can be declared a success if the resulting spec is implemented
by browser vendors. Your work has to be called a failure if it is not
implemented by browser vendors.

IMO the DOM RDFa API needs to do the absolute minimum that is useful
and covers everything that the microdata API does. Everything above
that threshold decreases the chance that there will ever be an
implementation in the browsers, and therefore sets you up for failure.

Please keep in mind that it's the browser vendors, and not the starry-
eyed linked data dreamers, who will decide about the success or
failure of the DOM RDFa API.

Best,
Richard