Re: HTML+RDFa 1.1 Last Call Draft is Ready

On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:18 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 01/27/2013 10:42 AM, Niklas Lindström wrote:
>> 1. In "3.5 Property Copying": Should a rdfa:Pattern really only be
>> removed if it has been used (i.e. linked to with rdfa:copy)?
>> Otherwise, the final removal step should remove rdfa:copy links in
>> one step and every statement about an rdfa:Pattern in another. (Did
>> Gregg's original text specify it like this?)
>
> Fixed (I hope). Please double-check my work to make sure it achieves the
> issues both you and Gregg pointed out.

I'm afraid I'm still concerned about this. The "clean-copy" rule says to remove anything of the form ?subject rdfa:copy ?target, even if there was no ?target with an rdf:type of rdfa:Pattern. It should only be removed if ?target was actually a pattern.

Also, "clean-pattern" would cause any pattern, even if not referenced, to be removed. The original semantics would only remove patterns which were actually referenced.

Maybe these are distinctions the group doesn't actually care about, but we did spend a fair amount of time getting the semantics right; it would be a shame to arbitrarily change them without due consideration.

>> 2. There was a comment elsewhere recently [1] by Lev Khomich
>> (implementor of RDFa 1.1 extraction in Java): "Also step 1 of
>> paragraph 3.5.1 may need some explanation for cases of circular
>> dependencies inrdfa:copy - rdfa:Pattern chains."
>>
>> Given the set nature of triples and the text "until no new triples
>> are added", I suppose that, technically, circular rdf:copy chains
>> aren't a problem with these rules? Still, it would be wise to spell
>> this out explicitly. (Did Gregg's text do that?)
>
> I added some warning text in a note.

The word "naive" in the note is a bit pejorative. Perhaps "simplistic"? Also, many implementations can rely on graph semantics rather than specifically tracking triples. If I add a triple to a graph which already contains that triple, the net is that no new triple is added. In my case, I can simply do the following

While graph.count != old_count
  Execute "pattern-copy"
  old_count = graph.count
end