Re: A real problem with CURIEs and a proposal

Niklas,

I think the only disagreement between the two of us is the starting '//' issue, ie, whether we want to allow it or not. And yes, your modification of the CURIE definition makes it relatively easy to define it without the '//'. Comments on that:

- I cannot tell you how widespread its usage is out there. Clearly, the only reasonable(?) usage in RDFa 1.0 was to mimic, say, http and it is correct that this became moot in RDFa 1.1. Which also means that any RDFa 1.0 _content_ that used it would be interpreted in 'your version' of RDFa 1.1, through different parsing route, yielding the same triples. This is certainly in favour of your proposal. As you say, due to the kindness of Facebook, we probably MUST change the CURIE definition anyway, so doing this may be done.

- However, this does _not_ address the issue of a possible clash of a registered scheme and prefix. What it achieves is... well, I am not even sure in practice. If I see a

http://www.example.org

in a @property, and the user can define a @prefix="http: http:" then, well, this is mapped on a HTTP URI. If it is not allowed or that prefix is not used then it will be mapped on... the same HTTP URI. No difference in practice.

On the other hand, the issue of leading '//' is completely irrelevant for a number of URI schemes. For example, consider:

prefix="tag: http://www.w3.org/"
@property="tag:ivan@ivan-herman.net,2012-01-26:abcd"

This would be expanded, through the CURIE mechanism, to http://www.w3.org/ivan@ivan-herman.net,2012-01-26:abcd, but...

tag:ivan@ivan-herman.net,2012-01-26:abcd

is a perfectly valid URI, using the (little used) 'tag' scheme RFC4151! We have not avoided this clash.

Ie, the restriction on '//' does _not_ handle the scheme/prefix clash issue in general. That problem is simply the result of the fact that the XML WG, in the distant past, and in their infinite wisdom, chose the ':' character as a namespace separator characters, and this choice has rippled around all the other documents that use a similar mechanism. The ONLY way of properly solve this issue is to use a different character at that place, say '|' as the CSS guys do, but that would create an unacceptable discrepancy between RDFa and the other, established and widely used serializations.

If this is so, I am in favour of the smallest possible change which does not require the RDFa processors to do one more (albeit trivial) check while parsing.

Cheers

Ivan

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4151.txt