The processing rules for property/rel

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:23:11 +0200
Cc: W3C RDFWA WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Gregg,

I spent some time yesterday (thanks to the train ride home) on the possible implementation of the the property/rel stuff. I am afraid the processing rules on

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/wiki/RDFaLiteWithProperty

are not complete. At least for what I thought we would like to do. I take your example:

  <a property="url" href="nba-miami-philidelphia-game3.html">
      NBA Eastern Conference First Round Playoff Tickets:
      Miami Heat at Philadelphia 76ers - Game 3 (Home Game 1)
  </a>

and what we want is

[ a schema:Event;
  schema:url <nba-miami-philidelphia-game3.html>;
  schema:description """
      NBA Eastern Conference First Round Playoff Tickets:
      Miami Heat at Philadelphia 76ers - Game 3 (Home Game 1)
    """ ] .

However, in this case, step #5 will also kick in before #11 that you modified. That will set the new subject to <nba-miami-philidelphia-game3.html>; in step #13, this will modify the value of parent subject as used when getting into the recursive step, which means that this will be the subject of everything down the line. Ie, there is a chaining no matter what (in the current model).

If we want to define the processing as you indicate, that means modifying #5. Essentially, if there is a @property and no @rel/@rev then, I believe, what should happen is:

- @about or @typeof should set a new subject (and that should be valid for the @property as well) otherwise the subject is the inherited one
- @href/@src/@data should _not_ set the new subject (but used as an object for @property) later, in your modified version of #11.

Editorially, I would probably prefer to cut processing step #5 into two, b.t.w.

Do I miss something?