Re: Linking to @about in RDFa Lite? (ISSUE-115)

Sebastian,

On Nov 5, 2011, at 21:29 , Sebastian Heath wrote:

> I hope this conversation hasn't ended. I see two things that still
> need to be hashed out:
>
> 1: Section 2.3 of the RDFa Lite Documentation is incorrect in using
> the language "If you want people to link to things on your page..." in
> reference to the functionality of @about.
>
> The implication of "to link to things on your page" seems clear. "to
> link" is reasonably understood as using a browser to arrive at "things
> on your page." The characters 'about="#manu"' will not achieve that
> goal.

I agree this formulation may lead to conclusion. I have added an explicit issue to the tracker (ISSUE-115), referring to your mail.

> So I suggest one of two corrections:
>
>  a: change the html to read '<p id="manu" vocab="http://schema.org/"
> about="#manu" typeof="Person">'
>
>  b: change the introductory sentence of the section to read to
> something hopefully less technical than:
>
>    "If you want an RDFa processor to produce a triple with
> "http://example.org/people#manu" you can use @about with a value of
> "#manu".'
>
> I prefer a. But it's incorrect as is.

I would strongly disagree with (a): there is no requirement, when creating URI-s in RDF, that this must refer to a specific anchor in the containing HTML text. So I would go with something like (b). It may go along a line like:

[[[
If you want an RDFa processor to create a URI with a fragment ID bound to the address of your page, you may use the '#' syntax, eg, @about="#manu"
]]]

but I let Manu have the final word on the formulation.

I do not see the necessity for this. The combination of @id and @about provides the same functionality, I do not think we should introduce yet another attribute for this.

> I'll file this as a bug. If anybody has thoughts about where that's
> best done, I'd welcome input.

As I said, I did it for you:

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/track/issues/115

Sincerely