Re: URI/IRI Normalization in RDFa environments

On 20.01.2011 16:02, Nathan wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> In the common web world, it get's normalized, in RDF it doesn't, you do
> string comparison.
>
> The common case we'll encounter in RDFa land is data being published
> with "URLs" like:
>
> http://EXAMPLE.ORG/foo/bar
>
> in @href, @src, and probably most often, @base.
>
> The problem we've got is that all the browsers and most DOM based
> tooling will normalize these URIs to http://example.org/foo/bar, but in
> the RDF world
>
> http://example.org/foo/bar and http://EXAMPLE.ORG/foo/bar are different.

We have the same issue with extension link relations. Thus:

"When extension relation types are compared, they MUST be compared as
strings (after converting to URIs if serialised in a different format,
such as a Curie [W3C.CR-curie-20090116]) in a case-insensitive fashion,
character-by-character. Because of this, all-lowercase URIs SHOULD be
used for extension relations." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc5988.html>

Best regards, Julian