Re: URI/IRI Normalization in RDFa environments

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:12:58 +0100
To: nathan@webr3.org
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, RDFA Working Group <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
On 20.01.2011 16:02, Nathan wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
> In the common web world, it get's normalized, in RDF it doesn't, you do
> string comparison.
> The common case we'll encounter in RDFa land is data being published
> with "URLs" like:
> http://EXAMPLE.ORG/foo/bar
> in @href, @src, and probably most often, @base.
> The problem we've got is that all the browsers and most DOM based
> tooling will normalize these URIs to http://example.org/foo/bar, but in
> the RDF world
> http://example.org/foo/bar and http://EXAMPLE.ORG/foo/bar are different.

We have the same issue with extension link relations. Thus:

"When extension relation types are compared, they MUST be compared as
strings (after converting to URIs if serialised in a different format,
such as a Curie [W3C.CR-curie-20090116]) in a case-insensitive fashion,
character-by-character. Because of this, all-lowercase URIs SHOULD be
used for extension relations." --

Best regards, Julian