Re: Ongoing objection to RDFa Profiles format (as XHTML+RDFa)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 06:44:41 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> #1) We have a software architecture where the foundations depend on
> the finished product.

It's really just a case of recursion. Anyone who's taken a course in
programming will have had to write a function like this:

	function fib ($n)
	{
		if (!is_int($n) || $n < 0)
			return null;
		elseif ($n < 2)
			return $n;
		else
			return fib($n-1) + fib($n-2);
	}

Recursive programming is not inherently bad design; it's sometimes a
little inefficient, and you need to take care to avoid loops, but it
can be quite a neat way of coding.

> #2) It's not good RDF...it's a pattern that no-one else uses.

Having profiles *at all* is something that no-one else does.

Personally I'm still not convinced we need such a feature.

> #3) To implement it properly you need to be able to query the triple
>     store.

True, but that doesn't have to be using SPARQL - a single iteration over
the triple store ought to be sufficient to extract all the data you
need from a profile.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>