Re: Ongoing objection to RDFa Profiles format (as XHTML+RDFa)

On Sep 8, 2010, at 12:44 , Manu Sporny wrote:

> I am going to attempt to summarize an issue that Mark raised over the
> weekend re: RDFa Profile documents. He intends to raise this as a Last
> Call issue - so this is mostly a heads-up that we're going to be
> revisiting this issue before going into LC. I may not capture everything
> that we discussed, so Mark will have to correct/elaborate as necessary.
>
> He has one primary objection:
>
> The RDFa Profile format is expressed in RDF - and that is not good
> design. See the 4 points below for an explanation of why.

I am sorry but these things have already been discussed, and the WG has decided to go along the lines it has now. I do not see any new information here, ie, no argument that has not been discussed before. Reopening a closed issue is really not a good way forward.

There is _one_ new issue below that I consider more as a bug than a new information. That is not a reason to reopen a closed issue.

> The new information that he has provided is:
>
> Per the spec at this moment in time, we're using XHTML+RDFa as the
> normative RDFa Profile document format. This means that an SVG+RDFa
> parser that builds on top of RDFa Core is also going to have to be an
> XHTML+RDFa parser in order to process the RDFa Profile documents.

Correct, the Core document should not necessarily refer to XHTML+RDFa but to RDFa Core. Any RDFa Core parser should suffice. We can certainly make it clear in the spec that a profile document should not make use of any XHTML specific issues in the definition of the 'profile graph'. This is not a fundamentally new issue.

For the rest, while I agree with what Manu wrote in his response, I would also refer to the earlier discussion.

Ivan